"Freedom Downtime" [was: Kevin Mitnick speaking at MarlboroSoftpro tonight... (fwd)]

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Thu Nov 14 14:50:39 EST 2002

In a message dated: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 13:56:37 EST
Derek Martin said:

>At some point hitherto, pll at lanminds.com hath spake thusly:
>> >I was under the impression that all DVD players have royalties built
>> >into their cost that the MPAA gets. Thus releasing the title on DVD
>> >would implicitly support the MPAA. I could be wrong about this.
>>
>> That only applies to DVD *players*.
>
>Which, last I checked, are required to play DVDs...

No one is disputing that.  The question was whether or not there was
a requirement to encode all DVDs with CSS region encoding, which
there is not.  The only requirement is that all players must have a
decoder which only plays a region encoded disk in the proper region.
If there is no region encoding, then there is no reason to not play
it, at least as it stands today.
--

Seeya,
Paul