Humor: Cargo Cult Programming

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Thu Nov 14 16:47:41 EST 2002

pll at lanminds.com said:

>In a message dated: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:02:30 EST
>mike ledoux said:
>
>>On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 03:57:29PM -0500, pll at lanminds.com wrote:
>(granted, I don't do this often, and more times than not, I ssh to
>the remote machine, co the file from RCS, vi it, etc.)

emacs works well with RCS/CVS too.  I don't remember if it works that
across a SSH link.

>>> You mean the rectangle thingy?  I've not seen it anywhere else but in
>>> emacsen.

I first used it in PC-Write IIRC.  Did the same as the emacs thing that
you just explained.  I'm thinking I might have done it in qedit
(another DOS editor).

I remember some users (around '90) saying "Why do I need X?  I have
emacs and can run my editor, gdb, gcc, etc".  These users were beyone
the Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping of course :-)

--
-------
Tom Buskey