Humor: Cargo Cult Programming

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Thu Nov 14 21:58:37 EST 2002

bscott at ntisys.com said:
>On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, at 6:06pm, jabr at abreau.net wrote:
>> I'm on a 56K dialup now, and it's not all that much better. I still get
>> frequent lags of anywhere from a few seconds to occasionally a minute or
>> two where the connection simply sits there frozen.
>
>  That's bogus.  I'm on what I think has to be NH's worst dialup feed -- 15
>miles from the CO, cannot connect faster than 24 kilobits, takes three times
>to connect, drops carrier if the wind gusts -- and I don't have that
>problem.  Occasionally, the modem will go off into hyperspace for a bit, and
>I have to sit and watch the EC and CS lights blink for a minute or two, but
>then two lines worth of text will spew out all at once and I'll be back in
>business.

Remember the old Telebit Trailblazer modems?  They'd sometimes connect
at 2400 baud when another modem wouldn't connect at 300 baud because
the line was so noisy.  fyi these modems could do > 9600 baud (19,200?)
and did kermit/uucp internally to speed things up.  They had a 68000
chip ro run the modem operation.  This was when 9600 baud was rare.

I bet today's modem's have similar issues.  Is there a market for
upscale modems?  Like the old  USR Courier that could do 19,200 when
14,4 was the fastest speed?
--
-------
Tom Buskey