Humor: Cargo Cult Programming

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Fri Nov 15 09:05:26 EST 2002

I worked on the original Burger King POS in the early '70s. This was a DEC
PDP8M. The modem card did not have a UART or equivalent. To do 1200bps, we
would put the system into a tight loop for the appropriate amount of time,
the neither send or receive a bit. We had to devlop out own protocol.
Also, our printer was equally primitive, we had to strike the happers on
the drum. To determine the key on the keyboard we had to read the row and
column.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director