Humor: Cargo Cult Programming

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Fri Nov 15 10:27:52 EST 2002

The Unix standard screen oriented editor has been vi for a long time. Emacs
was never part of any standard Unix, but was most always provided as an
addon.
I have always advocated that Unix (and Linux) professionals be well versed
in vi. Beyond that it is up to the invididual, and possibly the project and
installation. I once did a contract at a company where they did not want to
install emacs, but installed this other product which purported to be emacs
 compatible. Not only was it not emacs compatible, it crashed more
frequently than Windows 9x. My contract was dependent on that company's
client obtaining venture capital. Had that occurred I would have insisted
on GNU emacs being installed.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director