emacs & vi (vim) approaches)

Erik Price erikprice at mac.com
Sat Nov 16 23:11:06 EST 2002

On Friday, November 15, 2002, at 04:55  PM, Tom Buskey wrote:

> I'm amazed at how many places you find emacs style keystrokes.
> Mozilla, exmh's sedit, interleaf, bash, ksh, tcsh.  Others?
>
> It's similar to all the editors that used wordstar style keys on DOS -
> the Turbo editors, qedit.
>
> How many apps let you use vi keystrokes?  ksh, bash (?), tcsh (?),
> vile?

Since it's modal, I think it's harder for some apps to adjust... but
IIRC, GNU readline lets you use vi commands... I know there is a vi
option for bash, and perhaps for other tools that use readline like
MySQL's "mysql" and Python's interactive interpreter.

Erik

--
Erik Price                                   (zombies roam)

email: erikprice at mac.com
jabber: erikprice at jabber.org