Humor: Cargo Cult Programming

Kevin D. Clark kclark at CetaceanNetworks.com
Mon Nov 18 13:59:11 EST 2002

pll at lanminds.com writes:

> Everyone seems to be mis-interpreting what Kevin meant.  Note: He was
> not talking about command completion.  The "supercalifragilisticexpeialidocious"
> example refers to word completion in the *edit* buffer.  For example,
> if I had previously typed the word "supercalifragilisticexpeialidocious"
> in the edit buffer, I don't want to have to ever type that again.
> Emacs has the ability to not only create an alias for that word, but
> to perform auto-completion of the possible words I might type.
>
> So, if I'm typing along, and I begin typing the word "su", it might
> auto-complete uptil 'super' for me.  But if I continue typing past
> 'super' and type 'superc' it will auto-complete
> "supercalifragilisticexpeialidocious" for me.  Again, this is *not* a
> command, but an auto-completion *within* the edit buffer of any given
> file.  Addionally, (if I'm not mistaken) this auto-completion will
> carry over to other buffers I may be editing.
>
> Kev, please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.

Well, just a tiny correction:  Instead of continuing to type, I'd
probably just run dabbrev-expand again and not even type the extra
characters.  Less effort that way, methinks.

--kevin
--
"We will encourage you to develop the three great virtues of a
 programmer: laziness, impatience and hubris."

   _Programming Perl_, by Larry Wall et al.