prolonging the emacs discussion

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Wed Nov 20 10:20:35 EST 2002

In a message dated: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 09:41:30 EST
"Price, Erik" said:

>Once upon a time I saw somewhere a tip on setting up emacs so that those
>annoying backup files all go into one directory, or something like that.
>However, I pored over "Learning GNU Emacs" at the bookstore and scoured
>the built-in tutorial and didn't see how to set the default directory
>for these files.
>
>I could write a script that goes through my home directory and cleans
>them up, I suppose, but certainly emacs has the ability to customize
>this through some setting?
>
>Anybody know how to do this?

Well, the easiest way to do that is to use RCS for your revision
control.  That way when you check the file in, the ~ file gets
removed.  There seems to be a paths-version-control-filename-regexp
variable, which I'm guessing one would set to the base name to keep
all your ~ files.

Hope that helps.
--

Seeya,