prolonging the emacs discussion

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Wed Nov 20 10:27:42 EST 2002

In a message dated: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 10:20:35 EST
pll at lanminds.com said:

>In a message dated: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 09:41:30 EST
>"Price, Erik" said:
>
>>Once upon a time I saw somewhere a tip on setting up emacs so that those
>>annoying backup files all go into one directory, or something like that.

> There seems to be a paths-version-control-filename-regexp
>variable, which I'm guessing one would set to the base name to keep
>all your ~ files.

Hmmm, I tried it, but it doesn't seem to do what I expected.

I stand by my original statement.  If you want good revision control,
just use RCS.  It's integrated with (X)Emacs, and works great.  And
you can do things like create a ~/RCS file, then in any sub-dir you
want to have a file under rev control, create a symlink from there
back to ~/RCS (of course, this creates a concern for name collisions).
--

Seeya,
Paul