Subject: RE: log-reader

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Thu Nov 21 12:09:01 EST 2002

"Bayard R. Coolidge" said:

>Be that as it may, it then becomes an interesting problem of
>what to do about the information as it rolls in. In my case,
>I do a 'tail -f /var/log/messages' as part of my ppp startup,
>and I can monitor "real time" any attempts to hit my system.
>But, realistically, that particular window is "buried" below
>(er, behind) my Netscape Navigator browser window, my Netscape
>e-mail window, and a couple of others, sometimes for hours,
>so I frequently don't notice when someone overseas decides to
>telnet or ftp my dial-up node.
>
>So, I'd love to have an audible beep and/or (*gasp*) a pop-up
>window telling me when I'm being, er, groped over the network.
>
>Any ideas?

swatch.  I used to use it to monitor my central syslog server.  It's
tail -f with a regex filter.  When a regex hits, you can ignore,
display, boldface, or run a program.  I used to use play with various
sounds.

For example, an su would get a barking dog.  A failed su would wake a neighborhood
of dogs.  My boss su'ing & failing would get Monty Python "He's not the
messiah, He's a very naughty boy."  He made me take that one off :-(

If you have a popup program, you could trigger that.
--
-------
Tom Buskey