Boston Linux Conference December 3-4

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Fri Nov 22 22:03:03 EST 2002

"Travis Roy" said:
>Open/StarOffice still have issues with .doc format. I did my resume in
>OpenOffice and sent it out to some people only to get it back and find
>out that the bullet came out wacky in Word (they were bigger and all had
>the number 10 in the bullet, very lame looking). I then only sent it out
>in RTF and everybody would ask for it in DOC, I'm assuming the same will

RTF is usually more portable.  If you change the name to .doc, word
will never notice.  I've had better success with abiword writing .doc
files.  Of course, I do preview in a word under vmware :-(

wordview can also read rtf/doc.

A few years ago, when the job market was hot, I did my resume in HTML.
Everyone has a web browser nowadays.  I've been on the hiring side and
the exact format, as long as it wasn't too wierd, wasn't important.
Usually we got a FAX of the resume in low resolution from HR.

Now, employers are more picky so it's best to give them (& HR
*screening* resumes) what they want.

>happen with PDF. I don't see PDF being much better since windows users
>will still have to go get something like Adobe Acrobat. On a Mac however
>PDF rocks since it's built in.

PDF is pretty universal too.  I usually send .doc and .pdf files.

>I get all kinds of wacky stuff working at mailways (junkmail place)
>people sending us .csv files that are really excel files, .xls files
>that are really CSV files.. People send us tons of wacky formats.. Our
>two biggest customers still send us lists on 1/2" mag reel tape. Of
>course we do all our work on very old AS/400 (we're getting a new one
>next week). Actually, anybody know much about the whole AS/400 stuff?
>I'd love to make some kind of auto converter thing, because right now I
>get something, clean it up in excel, save it as fixed width (sometimes I
>have to do this in dBase, and that's a pain) then upload it to the
>AS/400 thru client access.

Sounds like a job for custom written perl.  There may even be a module
for AS/400 format?
--
-------
Tom Buskey