Networking help

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Wed Nov 27 10:43:39 EST 2002

In a message dated: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 21:50:56 EST
bscott at ntisys.com said:

>On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, at 8:23am, pll at lanminds.com wrote:
>>> Is the system multi-homed?  If so, is there any chance it is sending the
>>> packets out the wrong interface?
>>
>> Yes it is multi-homed, that's how I ssh to it.  I ssh to systemB on
>> it's external interface, then to C on the internal interface.
>
>  I meant: Is systemC multi-homed?

Err, yes.  This was all specified in the original post, of course, I
don't think anyone has that around anymore at this point ;)

All systems on that subnet are multihomed, systemB and systemC.

>I was wondering if systemC is sending an
>ICMP echo reply on an interface you're not paying attention to.

No, I checked that, I had one window to systemC
open for each interface and ran tcpdump on a specific interface.  The
only interface receiving icmp echo requests was the "public"
interface I was actively pinging from systemA (my desktop).

>I don't even recall what systems A and B were doing in your description.
>I was focusing on the single fact that systemC is apparently
>receiving ICMP echo requests without responding with an echo reply.
>That is a well-delineated problem.

That is *the* problem.  systemA is my desktop on a subnet different
from that of systemC.  SystemA is pinging systemC.  SystemC is
receiving but not replying to the echo request.

SystemB is a system on the same subnet as systemC which I can use to
get access to systemC via a private/non-routed subnet they are both
connected to.  This is how I ran tcpdump on systemC.

>wildfire# tcpdump -i eth0
>tcpdump: WARNING: eth0: no IPv4 address assigned
>tcpdump: listening on eth0
>
>  (I am not sure that is useful, but I find the fact that it works
>interesting.  :)

My point was, for an interface which is not configured, you'll likely
not see any traffic :)  And yes, it is interesting that it does work!

>  Given your description of variances between nearly-identical systems, you
>might also consider the possibility that the OEM of your systems had a bad
>run of network interface controllers.  A marginal IC might induce
>intermittent, single-bit errors that would be very hard to track down.

True, and something I have definitely considered.  Of course, I
haven't had any time these past two days to continue this
investigation, so I don't even know if the problem is still occurring!
--

Seeya,
Paul