Red Hat's Bluecurve (was: Red Hat 8.0 is 'official')

steveo at syslang.net steveo at syslang.net
Sat Oct 5 19:54:03 EDT 2002

On Sat, 5 Oct 2002 bscott at ntisys.com wrote:

=>On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, at 9:53am, pll at lanminds.com wrote:
=>>>  Or are you referring to the much-overblown "Bluecurve" issue?
=>>
=>> Since I don't follow RH's releases very closely anymore, care to educate
=>> me (and other non-RH fanatics :) on what the "Bluecurve"  issue is?
=>
=>  With Red Hat Linux 8.0, Red Hat Software has introduced "Bluecurve", which
=>is a family of themes for KDE, GNOME, GTK, etc., designed to unify the
=>appearance of their distribution's programs.  With prior releases, a GNOME
=>program would look different from a KDE program.  Now they all look much
=>more alike.  RHS has also changed the default desktops, panels, menus, and
=>associations of KDE and GNOME to be similar.  For example, in RHL 8.0, KDE
=>uses Mozilla for web-browsing by default, instead of Konquerer.
=>Presumably, Red Hat's target market (corporate IT departments) likes that
=>sort of thing.
=>
=>  This has made a certain very small but very vocal minority of KDE users
=>and developers go absolutely apeshit.  Apparently, they think Red Hat is
=>making KDE "unpure" or some such thing.  Of course, this isn't anything that
=>other distro vendors -- notably Mandrake and SuSE -- haven't done.  But
=>those other distros were either too small to worry about, or they were using
=>KDE as the "default" desktop, so the rabid KDE zealots did not object.
=>
=>  Certain other rabid zealots fired back remarks about how KDE is under the
=>GPL, so Red Hat can do anything they darn well please.  Naturally, they also
=>had to bring up the throughly dead KDE/Qt licensing issue one more time,
=>just for good measure.
=>
=>  Even so, the issue would have been relegated to the fringe that it comes
=>from, if not for the fact that major Linux sites like Slashdot and Linux
=>Today got ahold of it, which created a self-perpetuating flamewar for a
=>couple of weeks until all the sane people got tired of listening to the
=>fringe whine.  Deprived of their audience, they went back to pulling the
=>legs off spiders, or whatever it is those types do when they lose the
=>spotlight.
Guys, I just did an upgrade of my system here at home to 8.0 and boy do I
regret it. Absolutely nothing works and I have no idea why. I consider
myself to be pretty good at this too. So after 3 hours of fucking around,
I gave up and went for a reload. It sort of works now in a very crippled
state. My iptables firewall is no longer functional and I have a band-aid
one set up using their lokkit util. I tried to build a kernel and I'm
getting syntax errors as well as a ton of new warnings associated with the
new gcc; so bad that I can barely figure out what's going on. And the
Bluecurve thing? I'm having a hard time trying to figure out just how dumb
you have to be to like it. Push the browser button and you get mozilla,
but there's nothing to tell you that you'd get mozilla if you push it. :-(

That's all for now. I have to go off and be frantic.

--
-Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have -
-happened but none stranger than this. Does your driver's license say Organ