Red Hat's Bluecurve (was: Red Hat 8.0 is 'official')

Randy Edwards redwards at golgotha.net
Sat Oct 5 22:07:09 EDT 2002

> I consider myself to be pretty good at this too.

    Well, with an attitude like that, it's about time you were taken down a
notch or two. :-)

> new gcc; so bad that I can barely figure out what's going on. And the
> Bluecurve thing? I'm having a hard time trying to figure out just how dumb
> you have to be to like it. Push the browser button and you get mozilla,
> but there's nothing to tell you that you'd get mozilla if you push it. :-(

    Remember, this is rev 1.0 of Bluecurve.

    I've got mixed feelings on this.  I can see the point for newbies of
having a menu entry that clearly says "Web browser" instead of expecting
people to remember the individual package names.

    But if you're going to go that route, you should limit the user's choices
-- and no one seems to want to do that.  It surprises me, because one distro
I've seen it done in, Lycoris, it seems to work well.  There you don't get a
choice of 5 similar programs, or even a choice of 2.  There's something to be
said for that attitude if your goal is to limit users.

    But in a typical "kitchen sink" distro -- which includes Red Hat,
Mandrake, Debian, etc. -- you can't give a generic name "e-mail program" and
expect it to work out.  A far better option would be to list on the menus
something like:

...Internet
......Web browsers
.........Mozilla
.........Galeon
.........etc.
......E-Mail programs
.........Evolution
.........Mozilla

    However, the distros seem to dislike such logic. :-)  While I haven't
played with RH8, in Mandrake 9, like many others I've seen, the desktop menus
are just a mess...

--
  Bomb nuclear terror treasury semtex strategic nitrate plastic explosive
  Serbia North Korea Iran Libya Israel Taliban Afghanistan Muslim Jihad