MP3 + GPL = illegal (was: Red Hat's Bluecurve)

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Sat Oct 5 23:21:04 EDT 2002

On 5 Oct 2002, at 10:35pm, pri.nhlug at iadonisi.to wrote:
> I also wasn't pleased with the lack of mp3 support.

  It is worth emphasizing that, which the changes in policy regarding MP3
patent licensing, distribution of any GPL'ed program that supports MP3 is
*illegal*.  Section 7 of the GPL.  Red Hat does not have much choice in the
matter.  Any distribution that does otherwise is, quite simply, breaking the
law, and violating the GPL.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>