Red Hat's Bluecurve (was: Red Hat 8.0 is 'official')

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Mon Oct 7 10:53:47 EDT 2002

In a message dated: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 19:54:03 EDT
steveo at syslang.net said:

>Guys, I just did an upgrade of my system

Not that this is any help or consolation to you, but I have yet to
see *any* OS "upgrade" go smoothly.  I've heard the occasional report
of a RH 6.1->6.2 or maybe even 7.2->7.3 upgrade being successful, but
if I recall, these upgrades were done on non-critical systems where
there really wasn't a lot of accumulated history, etc.

On my home systems, as with any work-systems I've ever managed, I
always make sure that *any* dynamic data will reside on a separate
partition from the OS (i.e. /home, /usr/local) and copy all config
files (i.e. /etc/*) to one of these partitions.  That way I can
essentially wipe the entire system, and re-install from scratch
without losing anything important (of course, you do need to remember
which partition you put stuff on *and* remember to *NOT* format it
during the install :)

--

Seeya,
Paul