Red Hat's Bluecurve (was: Red Hat 8.0 is 'official')

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Mon Oct 7 11:14:15 EDT 2002

In a message dated: 05 Oct 2002 22:35:55 EDT
Paul Iadonisi said:

>  Here, I'm afraid, I somewhat agree.  The new window manager for Gnome
>2.0, metacity, is basically crippling for me.

Well, it's good to know that I haven't missed *anything* by sticking
with fvwm over the years :)  Someone wake me up when it becomes
worthwile to bother looking at another windowmanager !

>> Push the browser button and you get mozilla,
>> but there's nothing to tell you that you'd get mozilla if you push it. :-(
>
>  And most dumb (and even some smart) users, don't care.  They just want
>to browse the net.

It could be worse, you could've gotten Netscape 4.77 :)

>  It's now impossible to have the Gnome panel(s) be anything but
>always-on-top.

Is this only if you're running Gnome? Or does it apply to running the
panel in other windows managers? IOW, I use fvwm, but I run the Gnome
panel (mostly because I really like the the AfterStep clock applet:)
Does that mean I can no longer go to Panel->Properties->All Properties
and select my own Panel Window level?

The default is to keep it "always on top", but that property seems to
be inherited from the Gnome "Global Preferences", and can be (in 1.4)
changed on a per object basis.

--

Seeya,
Paul