Version inflation (was: Red Hat's Bluecurve (was: ...))

John Abreau jabr at blu.org
Mon Oct 7 21:35:47 EDT 2002

Paul Iadonisi <pri.nhlug at iadonisi.to> writes:

>   Well, unless Sun plans on having 'uname -r' return 5.99 or some such
> nonsense, there is little choice.  And six probably isn't the best

SunOS 5.99 would be a long way off, in any case. The next release after
5.9 would be 5.10. Remember, this is not a floating-point number, it's
two separate numbers joined with a dot. Think "5->9" or "5::9" if that
makes it clearer.

IM: jabr at jabber.blu.org / abreauj at aim / abreauj at yahoo / 28611923 at icq
Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9

   Some people say, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."
   I often respond, "When elephants fight, it's the grass
   that gets trampled."