KVM cards

Michael O'Donnell mod+gnhlug at std.com
Mon Oct 7 22:08:18 EDT 2002

Let's say there's a machine (probably out at some
customer's site) that normally runs without any
KVM (Keyboard/Video/Mouse) HW attached, but I
temporarily need to hook up to that machine in
order to diagnose a problem or install/reconfig
some SW.  Wouldn't it be nice if my laptop
had (say) a card with connectors that I could
cable up to the KVM hardware on the machine in
question that would allow me to use my laptop's
KVM hardware to interact with that machine?

Anybody know if such adapters (or whatever)
exist?  This might be a market opportunity, since
I can't remember ever hearing of such a thing -
all this would really amount to is something on
the order of a 1-port KVM switch implemented as
(say) a PCI card, right?

P.S.  Unfortunately, the machines in question
      will be examples of the dainbramaged
      mess that's somehow become our beloved
      Industry Standard Architecture, so please
      don't bother suggesting that I consider
      using serial consoles or any other such
      civilized solutions that one might expect
      on machines designed by/for grownups -
      we're talking about PeeCee's here...