Community Websites?

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Thu Oct 10 10:08:05 EDT 2002

Hi all,

I recently read the LJ article by Reuven Lerner about OpenACS, and
was considering using it at work to build an environment for the
engineering groups.  But after looking at the OpenACS website, I
wasn't overly impressed with their documentation (It doesn't really
tell you what ACS *is* other than "a toolkit for building web
communities" or something).  There isn't a concise list of what
OpenACS includes (i.e. what do get that's so great?).

So, my question is, has anyone built a "web community", and if so,
what did you use?

The three tools I know of are:

	- PHPNuke 	(isn't gnhlug.org using this somewhere?)
	- slashcode	the stuff powering /.
	- OpenACS

Can anyone list the pros/cons of each?  What they liked/didn't like,
etc.  Keep in mind, I'm interested in recent experiences.  Comments
like "I looked at slash a long time ago and the code is really
horrible!" don't really help me (unless you *know* nothing has
changed :)

Thanks,

--

Seeya,