Fun with RH 8

Randy Edwards redwards at golgotha.net
Wed Oct 16 23:54:23 EDT 2002

    I recently decided it's time to check out the competition and get up to
speed on RH and Gnome, so I downloaded and installed RH 8 on a laptop and am
convinced I'll try to use that as my primary laptop for a month or so.

    Overall, I'm impressed by RH 8.  I like their install better than Mandrake
9's -- it just seems more logical and better laid out.  I did run into a SNAFU
with my Dell laptop -- RH didn't detect the display and X would load, and
everything seemed normal; but I discovered that clicking on Next on the "type
of install" (workstation, server, etc.) screen wouldn't work right.  The
screen looked fine but it wouldn't work until I put the system into 1024x768
mode.  That was an odd one that took me quite a few reboots to figure out.

    The Blue-whatever theme seems nice, though for the life of me I don't know
why RH abandoned Mozilla and OpenOffice's default icons.  That's just dumb.  I
understand the logic of wanting generic icons, but com'on, Mozilla and
OpenOffice are "brands" that are just as important to the free software
movement as RH is.  The icons RH used in their place are non-standard and just
plain looking.

    I did like the menu's icons -- they're XP looking enough to seem "new" but
colorful and defined enough to be practical (though let's face it: the "Trash"
icon looks like a Dixie cup and reminds me I've got to brush my teeth:-).  The
desktop item that's humorous is the layout of Gnome's menus -- the guys who
thought that up were smoking something really strong!  Overall, however, the
desktop is nice and gives a polished feel.

    One thing that baffles me is the way the system configuration is spread
out over 397 different dialogs.  I'm trying to resist just jumping to a shell
(which isn't on the main menu!:-( and going to /etc.  So I'm playing with all
these dialogs to configure NFS and other things.  Good grief, the layout is
simply bizarre.  KDE's style of having everything in the Control Center,
linuxconf's layout, or even Windows' layout seems logical by comparison.  To
me, the admin/config dialogs, like the entire menu layout, need to be ordered
in some logical fashion in a really bad way.

    And speaking of linuxconf, it didn't install by default, but I didn't see
it on the CDs either -- is it still around or has it been dropped?

    One thing I do like about Bluewave (or whatever it's called) is that the
window widgets are a decent size.  RH 7.x's default Gnome widgets were so tiny
that I had to spend way too much concentration maneuvering my mouse to make
sure it was on top of the widget.  That's one minor -- but nice --
improvement.  I see that as RH 8's main strength: lots of little but common
sense improvements.  I was impressed by that, less so by what I saw in Gnome.
  It's been a while since I've used Gnome, and I was surprised it hasn't
matured more and it seems rough in comparison to KDE.

    But an important question: Under KDE (I'm trying not to use RH 8's KDE so
I can surprise myself with it in a few weeks) I use the "laptop" widget set.
This puts the "X" on the upper lefthand corner of the window and leaves the
maximize/minimize widgets on the righthand side.  This is just the way GUI
computers ought to be!  How anyone can aim at the maximize button and not hit
the "X" is beyond me...  So the question is, how/where can I get a widget set
or theme for Gnome that will accomplish this critical computing requirement?

--
  Regards, | There's no such thing as "Intellectual 'Property'".  All ideas
  .        | are owned by the public and are in the public domain.  The