[OT] How much is a domain worth?

Brenda Bell k15a-list-gnhlug at mail.theotherbell.com
Thu Oct 17 18:51:50 EDT 2002

Rumor has it that Erik Price said:

> Here's the answer to your question:  My dad has an entire set of
> Elvis Presley trading cards.  He paid a few hundred dollars for it
> on eBay.

I remember finding an article on the Web that addressed this question.
 They cited some interesting rules for determining the value of a
domain name.  One such rule was the length of the name -- www.ibm.com
is obviously a better name than
www.internationalbusinessmachines.com... the shorter the name, the
more someone is willing to pay for it because they want people to
remember it easily.

However, the more interesting criteria was whether the name was based
on common household words... when someone's looking for information
about some topic on the web -- say "hottubs" -- they have two starting
points...

They can google for hottubs and weed through a ton of junk to find
what they want...

Or they can try the long shot and point their browser to
www.hottubs.com to see what happens.  You'd be amazed at how often the
second technique works faster and better than any of the search
engines.

Personally, I think the poster who suggested finding out everything
about the organization that wants to buy it has the right idea.  I
could come up with all sorts of interesting uses for a name like
virtualbuilder.

--
Cheers,

    Brenda