Centralug

Ben Boulanger ben at blackavar.com
Sun Oct 20 15:59:19 EDT 2002

Hi David,
First, there off, let me give you a quick couple of links on the Greater
New Hampshire Linux Users Group:
http://www.gnhlug.org
Chapters:
http://wiki.gnhlug.org/twiki2/bin/view/Www/Chapters

We do have a Northern New Hampshire area Chapter, but I'm not very
familiar with it.  I'm Ccing the gnhlug list in hopes of hooking you up
with someone who knows about that.

Second, there's no problem with contacting me this way, but I gaurantee
I don't know as much as some of the members of the list.  You might want
to consider subscribing
(http://mail.gnhlug.org/mailman/listinfo/gnhlug-discuss) as even if
there isn't a group close to you, I'm sure you'll find the list very
useful.

Now, about sound - which documentation have you read?  There are many
many different sound chipsets out there and which one you have will
really be the key to your question.  So, if you know that info, by all
means, provide it and I'm sure someone on the list will have some level
of experience with it.  If not, we can help you figure it out.  If your
soundcard is PCI based (or onboard), the output of "cat /proc/pci"
should give us some clue about what kind of sound controller it is.

Many of the drivers are part of the kernel code and can be either
compiled into your kernel or built as external modules that can be
loaded on boot.  On the other hand, if you happen to have one of those
cards (as I do) that isn't well implemented in the kernel source, I'd
check out http://www.opensound.com and see if they have something -
you'll have to pay (I believe), but they have quite a few.  There's also
other efforts (like http://aureal.sourceforge.net) that may provide what
you need.

All we need to do now is figure out what you've got.

Ben