Polar coordinate graphing

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Fri Oct 25 09:17:20 EDT 2002

In a message dated: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:24:24 EDT
Michael O'Donnell said:

>I've seen graphs generated using polar coordinates,
>with variables represented as radials from the
>origin.  You then connect-the-dots on each axis and
>your graph is the resultant shape.  I seems like
>I recall a particular name for that approach and I
>might have even seen some Linux software that allows
>you to generate such graphs.  xgraph is cool but I
>think it only does Cartesian coordinates (linear &
>log) and that's not what I want...     Suggestions?

Doesn't gnuplot do this?

Also there's 'grace', but I don't know if does polar coordinates.  I
know it does cartesian, and it seems pretty advanced.

My 'apt-cache search plot' reveals

	gtkgraph	- an interactive function-plotter/calculator
	jgraph		- Jim Plank's program for producing PostScript graphs
	kmatplot	- A Gnuplot-like tool for plotting data sets in 2D or 3D.
	kmplot		- KDE function plotter
	ploticus	- A script driven business graphics package
	plotmtv		- multipurpose X11 plotting program.
	quickplot	- X-based data viewer
	scigraphica	- Scientific graphics and data manipulation (Gtk version)
	sciplot1	- widget for scientific plotting
	sppc		- Simple Panel Plot Composer
	xgraph		- Plotting program, reads stdin, allows interactive zooming
	xmgr		- An XY plotting tool
	pgplot5		- large subroutine library for plotting scientific data.

I don't know if any of these do polar coordinates, but it wouldn't
suprise me if the more scientific oriented ones handled it okay.

I also came up with this link off the gnuplot site (http://www.gnuplot.info/):

	Scientific Apps for Linux  - http://sal.kachinatech.com/D/1/index.shtml

And this link was listed at the bottom of that page:

	 Scientific Visualization Bibliography
		http://www.nas.nasa.gov/NAS/projects/visualization/visWeblets.html

Which has a list of SciVis web sites around the world.

Hth.

Oh, and don't forget Google :)

--

Seeya,