SSH v2 sans password prompting...

John Abreau jabr at blu.org
Wed Sep 4 11:43:33 EDT 2002

Ken Ambrose <kena at well.com> writes:

> How do I get logged in to a remote host, via ssh, w/o password prompting,
> a la the rhosts file?  I can do it with SSH v1, but v2 seems to give me
> some problems.  I've plugged the public key into the authorized_keys file,
> but no dice.  Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,

The most common problem I've seen with setting up ssh keys has been
directory
permissions. Nine times out of ten when someone asks me to help with this,
it turns out they left their .ssh directory wide open. I change it so only
they can read or access the directory:

    chmod 700 ~/.ssh
    chmod 600 ~/.ssh/*

This is with openssh.

ICQ 28611923 / AIM abreauj / YAHOO abreauj
Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9

   Some people say, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."
   I often respond, "When elephants fight, it's the grass
   that gets trampled."