RH7.3 not on first drive woes, or how to scroll back after panic

Bill Freeman f at ke1g.mv.com
Thu Sep 5 16:22:10 EDT 2002

	Shift-PgUp, Shift-PgDn still don't work after the panic.  But
thanks to Derek's vga=775 suggestion, I can now see the entire
interesting pile.  I was only really missing two lines, and they're
not all that interesting.  I'm including back to the neighborhood lf
the modprobe error (mentioned in the original post), just for
weirdness.  Indented stuff is from my last post:

SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:1.0
scsi0 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.5
        <Adapetc 2940 SCSI adapter>
        aic7870: Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/253 SCBs

  Vendor: SEAGATE   Model: DAT    04106-XXX  Rev 743B
  Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Mounting /proc filesytem
Scanning logical volumes
 > ERROR: vgscan (whatever that is) exited abnormally!
 > Activating logical volumes
 > ERROR: failed in exec of vgchange
 > echo: cannot open /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev for write: 2
 > Mounting root filesystem
 > mount: missing mount point
 > ERROR: failed in exec of /dev/hdd1
 > umount /proc failed: 22
 > pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
 > ERROR: /dev/hdd1 exited abnormally!
 >   (yes, several of these are repeats)
 > umount /proc failed: 22
 > pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
 > ERROR: vgchange exited abnormally!
 > echo: cannot open /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev for write: 2
 > Mounting root filesystem
 > mount: missing mount point
 > ERROR: failed in exec of /dev/hdd1
 > umount /proc failed: 22
 > pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
 > ERROR: /dev/hdd1 exited abnormally!
 > umount /proc failed: 22
 > pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
 > Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.

	So, that's not much extra info.  I presume that logical
volumes are to do with multi-partition filesystems, as in DEC's old
LVM, rather than those disk labels instead of device specifiers in
fstab, which I don't use precisely because they don't play well with
having multiple linux installations on a system.

 > 	I guess that I'll see if one of the older 2.4 kernels will
 > work on that root filesystem.

	And the answer is that 2.4.9-34 boots just fine with hdd1 as
root.  Pretty fine, anyway: The upgrade, of course, removed its
modules directory, so it manages not to be able to do a few things,
like vfat filesystems, usb mice, aic7xxx, and xdm/X fails for an
undiagnosed reason, but eventually gives up respawning so that I can
log in as root on the console and run emacs, etc.

 							Bill