snapshot back-ups

William Stearns wstearns at pobox.com
Sun Sep 8 11:13:53 EDT 2002

Good day, Derek, all,

On Sat, 7 Sep 2002, Derek D. Martin wrote:

> I ordinarily don't post links from slashdot, but this topic came up
> recently on this list, so I thought there might be some interest in
> it.  If you like the netapp-style snapshots, you can (kinda) duplicate
> the functionality with rsync.  Here's the link:
>
>   http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/
>
> I only skimmed through it very briefly, so I won't comment on it other
> than to say that I think the concept is interesting.  I also think
> this is an example that shows the usefulness of rsync, a tool which
> in my experience is very much under-utilized by system administrators,
> often in favor of much more complicated or expensive software
> packages.

	Neat!
	I took a similar approach to backing up with rsync and
automatically keeping (daily) snapshots of the backed-up systems with
rsync-backup:

http://www.stearns.org/rsync-backup/

	Cheers,
	- Bill

        "Anyone can be a critic, its rather harder and much more
valuable to be a critic that actually has positive impacts on what you
criticize"
        -- Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>