NIS, automounting, Solaris and headaches

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Mon Sep 9 13:14:48 EDT 2002

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 12:28:32PM -0400, Derek D. Martin wrote:
> At some point hitherto, Mark Komarinski hath spake thusly:
> > So, a map that looks like:
> >
> > /nmr/people	-rw	foobar:/nmr/people
>
> What *IS* this?  Or more accurately I guess, *where* is it?  I think
> you're missing a layer of abstraction, which may be part of your
> problem.  This looks like it wants to be a direct map, which at least
> when we were doing this, was not supported by linux.  The proper way
> is/was to define your mount point in auto.master, and specify a map to
> get the keys from that will go under that mount point.  Then list the
> keys that get mounted in that map file, followed by the options, and
> followed finally by the location to mount from.  This is what I did
> with auto.master and auto.home above.

*closes ORA NIS and NFS book*

Ah ha.  NIS is populated with all direct maps.  The script I found
converts the direct maps to indirect maps (located under /-)
The old company I was at used indirect maps.

Unfortunately, NIS has been soooo horribly mismanaged for the past 10 years
that it will take me a long time to clean up.  At least I know
where the end point should be.

Thx.

-Mark