RH7.3 not on first drive woes, or how to scroll back after panic

Bill Freeman f at ke1g.mv.com
Mon Sep 9 17:49:32 EDT 2002

	For those who have been following along and who care:

	This seems to be an issue with mkinitrd not expecting to have
to deal with a commented out extra line for the "/" filesystem in
/etc/fstab.  Because I had two installations to keep working, when I
had originally installed RH7.1 on hdd1, I'd had to edit its fstab
because the lines containing "LABEL=" instead of device names were
being confused by the partitions that were mounted on mount points of
the same name (/, usr, home, etc.) by the other installation.

	Being paranoid about deleting something that I didn't fully
understand, I only commented the "LABEL=" version lines out.  So when
mkinitrd ran an awk script on fstab to find the device whose
mountpoint is "/", it found two lines, and set a variable to the pair
of them, joined by a newline character.  This led the linuxrc in the
generated initrd to contain the two lines:

mount --ro -t ext2 #LABEL=/
/dev/hdd1 /sysroot

where what was intended was:

mount --ro -t ext2 /dev/hdd1 /sysroot

	The presence of the substring "LABEL" in that variable also
caused the erroneous inclusion of the invokations of vgscan and
vgchange.  They generate error messages, but wouln't have stopped the
boot.  It's the inability to mount the eventual root on /sysroot
that's the killer.

	I've sent mail to the listed maintainer.

							Bill