NIS, automounting, Solaris and headaches

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Mon Sep 16 12:10:29 EDT 2002

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 11:57:50AM -0400, pll at lanminds.com wrote:
> In a message dated: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 12:28:32 EDT
> "Derek D. Martin" said:
> >> The best I've been able to find now, to be fair, is a big 'ol
> >> kludge.  The automounter uses /- as a base, then creates symlinks
> >> to the locations that users expect the directories to be at.
> >
> >Er, I don't remember having to deal with anything like this...  Paul?
> >
> >> So, a map that looks like:
> >>
> >> /nmr/people	-rw	foobar:/nmr/people
> >
> >What *IS* this?  Or more accurately I guess, *where* is it?
>
> My gut instinct tells me this is a 'direct map' which is Verbotten in
> LinuxLand :(  Linux's autofs has no support for direct maps.  You
> might be okay using a Linux client and a Solaris server this way, but
> it will definitely fail with an all-Linux environment.

I figured it out.  They were direct maps, and I've started converting
to indirect.  This is one of the places where Linux is really lacking
in "prime time" capabilities.  NFS encryption support would be
nice too.

I'm at the point now where I have two concurrent sets of maps - one
that still has all the direct maps for backwards compatability, and
the new indirect maps I'll roll out for new machines.

-Mark