NIS, automounting, Solaris and headaches

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Mon Sep 16 13:23:12 EDT 2002

In a message dated: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 12:47:43 EDT
"Derek D. Martin" said:

>The Linux autofs team does (or at least did) eventually plan to add
>direct map support; however there's no great rush to do so for three
>main reasons:
>
>  - direct maps are hard to implement (required significant kernel
>    changes, IIRC)

If my memory buffers aren't too corrupt from just coming home from
vacation, the problem lies in the VFS code which will need some very
significant work to implement direct maps.  The big problem is that
they need to muck with inodes and the like, which is (for some reason
I don't remember) not an issue for indirect maps (I think because
they're only dealing with file handles and symlinks?).

>  - you can generally achieve the same effect with indirect maps

Usually, however, there are some times when you just want a direct
map because you can't get what you need from indirect maps.  For
instance, a direct map for home dirs would allow you to 'cd' to /
homes and then do an 'ls' to see everyone's homedir.  Indirect maps
hide everything until it's mounted, direct maps mount everything at
once.  This is part of where the slight performance hit comes from
with direct maps.

>  - indirect maps are better

'better' is a subjective term, but in general, yes :)
--

Seeya,
Paul