NIS, automounting, Solaris and headaches

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Mon Sep 16 13:25:51 EDT 2002

In a message dated: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 13:01:02 EDT
Mark Komarinski said:

>> I'd personally switch over entirely to indirect maps, but be sure to
>> document WHY directly in the map files.  This will help future
>> administrators who've been accustomed to using direct maps to not make
>> the mistake of trying to switch back.
>
>The researchers used to be the admins of the sytem.

Always a recipe for disaster :)  People who are smart enough to figure
out how to do it, but can't be bothered with doing right because they
have too much "real" work to do!

I've lost track of the number of environments I've had to clean up
from this scenario over the years :)

Of course, I consider it a relatively good thing, since it is a sort
of job security !
--

Seeya,
Paul