Installing onto RAID

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Tue Sep 17 14:23:59 EDT 2002

Hi all,

I'm playing around with sw RAID under Linux.  I have a system which
has 4 IDE drives which I want to install onto.  I want to mirror all
the file systems on all 4 drives, such that if any one drive
fails, the system should be able to boot from the next bootable
device.

However, I seem to be in a catch-22 position.  In order to mirror
across all the drives, don't I need to install to all the drives?
And if so, how do I configure the RAID set *before* I install?

Or, is there a way to install to the primary master, yet create a
/etc/raidtab file which then gets read and invoked at boot time and
will mirror whatever is on /dev/hdaX to /dev/hd[b,c,d]X ?

Anyone ever do this before?

Thanks,

--

Seeya,