Installing onto RAID

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Wed Sep 18 10:41:36 EDT 2002

In a message dated: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 10:29:26 EDT
rdp at talisman.mv.com said:

>On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 pll at lanminds.com wrote:

>> I can't seem to find any mention of the auto-detection option in the
>> HOWTO.  Of course, this HOWTO is 2 years old, not having been updated
>> since January of 2000, so I don't know if it's overly relevant or
>> accurate anymore.
>
>If you're going to make claims like that you need to at least read the
>HOWTO :)
>
>http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Software
>-RAID-HOWTO.html#ss4.10
>
>Though I admit it doesn't help much in terms of kernel specifics. Perhaps
>this is now the default in the kernel if you compile in raid. Worth a try
>I suppose....

All it says is that you need to have the option turned on.  It
doesn't tell you *where* to do that in the kernel, and I can't seem find
it.  Someone mentioned to me that if you compile RAID into the
kernel, vs. as a module, then autodetection is auto-enabled.  Which,
based on what the HOWTO shows for boot time messages, agrees with
what I remember seeing on other systems I've used RAID on.

But, it would be nice if this were mentioned somewhere, other than
just saying "Make sure you have auto-detection turned on", but then
fail to tell explain exactly how you check this (other than trial and
error :)
--

Seeya,
Paul