init scripts, redhat, console use

Kevin D. Clark kclark at CetaceanNetworks.com
Wed Sep 18 13:09:27 EDT 2002

"Derek D. Martin" <ddm+gnhlug at pizzashack.org> writes:

> How it gets there, when it gets there, is unclear to me.  I do note
> that all the echo commands have the string preceded by '$'... though I
> tried echoing a string with that, and it did nothing.

This is for I18N.  Bash will call use your environment's locale (and
underlying translation systems) to display this string in your local
language.

(man -k gettext)

> Incidentally, I almost agree with Kevin's statement about aquiring a
> controlling tty.  That is, if steps are taken to prevent the process
> from aquiring a controlling tty, it is impossible for it to do so.

So we agree.  This is all that I was stating.

Regards,

--kevin
--
Kevin D. Clark / Cetacean Networks / Portsmouth, N.H. (USA)
cetaceannetworks.com!kclark (GnuPG ID: B280F24E)