sorta OT: company names

Erik Price erikprice at mac.com
Fri Sep 20 13:39:00 EDT 2002

Hi,

This question isn't really related to Linux or Unix specifically, but
I'll ask anyway since I know there are some experienced developers on
this list.

I am writing a small chunk of software (in Java) that I intend to
release on Freshmeat when I have a beta.  I don't have a "company" name
registered in whatever organization keeps track of company names, but
I'd like to use one (even though it's just me hacking in my spare time,
not-for-profit).  This is especially significant given that I would use
the name in the software package name, eg
"com.MyCompany.MyApplicationPackage".  However, the name that I want to
use was taken by another company about 7 years ago, but I am fairly
certain it longer exists -- there are only 19 hits on Google in
reference to the name, and of those, only a few actually related to the
company.  They do not have a web site, nor can I find any contact
information about them.  A Wired article indicates that this company
was based out of someone's apartment in New York, whereas I live in
Mass.

I'm wondering if it's legal to just appropriate the name for my own
use.  I'd guess not, but then I wonder how many diners out there are
named "Classic Diner" or what have you.  Furthermore, I have the domain
name already.  What are the (legal) steps to take so that you can put
"Copyright 2002 My Company" on your software?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Erik

--
Erik Price                                   (zombies roam)

email: erikprice at mac.com
jabber: erikprice at jabber.org