OT (sorta) Removing Linux

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Wed Sep 25 15:29:47 EDT 2002

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, at 3:05pm, hewitt_tech at attbi.com wrote:
> BTW, for small money you can pick up a 3.5 to 2.5 hard driver adaptor.

  Yes.  I paid about $12 for my 44-pin adapter.  :)

> Then you can install Windows to the 2.5 drive setup as master on another
> box.

  It is a much better idea to either (1) copy files needed to bootstrap the
CD-ROM reader to the hard disk, or (2) copy the contents of the Windows
CD-ROM to the hard disk.  You can then move the drive back and do the actual
Windows install on the target computer.

> ... you will likely go through several rounds of "found new hardware" and
> reboot cycles.

  Indeed, and the new system will likely never be completely right in the
head.  According to what Microsoft PSS (Product Support Services) has told
me, MS-Windows will generally not survive a change in motherboard correctly.
Apparently, the device tree is tied to the motherboard type somehow, and
switching that can permanently hose the device manager.

  This was for Windows 95, as I remember, but I haven't seen anything to
lead me to believe that things are different for any other version of
MS-Windows.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>