installing Linux by floppy to get driver

Erik Price erikprice at mac.com
Sat Sep 28 11:17:23 EDT 2002

I have a friend at work who has an older i486 and wants to install
Linux onto it, perhaps to run Apache or something.  The problem is that
he doesn't have the CD ROM driver for it.  I know that the IDE driver
is built into the Linux kernel (or I think it is), but his is a SCSI
model -- it's a Digital Celebris model, or something like that.

Since he can't use the CD ROM drive, he can't install Linux by CD.  We
found a floppy-based distro called DLX
(<http://www.wu-wien.ac.at/usr/h93/h9301726/dlx.html>), which I was
thinking could get Linux up and running, but how to get him the SCSI
CD-ROM driver?  Once the CD drive works, we can just install a regular
distribution or something.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Erik

--
Erik Price                                   (zombies roam)

email: erikprice at mac.com
jabber: erikprice at jabber.org