SiS, Intel NIC, PCI and a bald head.

Kurth Bemis kurth at usaexpress.net
Tue Apr 1 00:14:41 EST 2003

here's the story...

bought a machine from eracks.com with no OS installed (Duron
1.3g/128meg/20GHD) to be used as a fire wall/dhcp server for a client
with a 256k pipe.

I'm installing OpenBSD and after rebooting I notice that there isn't a
network card, both of them are missing.....and of course the stock oBSD
kern isn't compiled with support for /proc...

so I install slackware 8.1 goes off without any problems.....but again
upon rebooting - no NICS.  One is an intel pro/100s and the other is a
SiS900.

I see them both in my /proc/pci file, but that's it.  Not in anyplace
else under /proc.

BTW - they don't appear in ifconfig -a output, and yes - the kernel
(2.4.18) is compiled for PCI support and for both nics.  Both cards are
good.  I have tested them in other machines.

And yes - I have tried pci=bios at boot time....it's a nogo.

I've pulled all my hair out, and how I'm asking you to pull out your as
well :-)