sendmail, procmail, and damaged 'from ' lines in mbox files

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Wed Apr 2 12:12:25 EST 2003

 >i've just discovered that *something* appears to be occasionally
 >damaging my mbox inbox (/var/spool/mail/$USER) on my server.
 >procmail is my local delivery agent, and so all the messages
 >get their 'From ' lines rewritten to 'From coar  <date>'.
 >
 >however, i've just noticed that sometimes this is truncated to
 >'rom coar  <date>' -- i.e., the leading 'F' gets gobbled somehow.

I have heard this, yes, most noticeably with something related to
SpamAssassin, I believe. Something about SA rewriting the From:
and then Procmail rewriting it again. I think. Lemme poke
for a second, mmkay.

.
.
.

Yeah, take a look here:

   http://spamassassin.org/dist/procmailrc.example

where it remarks: "Work around procmail bug: any output on stderrwill cause
the "F" in "From" to be dropped.  This will re-add it.". There's a rule
directly below it to re-add it.

--
Morbus Iff ( i'm the droid you're looking for )
Buy My Book! http://amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596004605/disobeycom