Exchange Replacement

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Tue Apr 8 15:44:37 EDT 2003

  Richard> Given that, I'm not quite sure how Oracle is 'so much' that
  Richard> spending the money on the 'real Microsoft product' is a
  Richard> better idea...

Because with MS, you take what they give you, and you get to decide
whether you like it or hate it.  If you hate it, you can keep it, or
chuck it for something else.

With Oracle, you pay for a basically empty box, then get the option
to spend a large sum of money, or a ridiculously large sum of money
for them to custom design what they think you asked for, then you get
decide whether you like it or hate it.  If hate it, they'll likely
convince you that for just a little more money, they can get the
final customizations done to meet your exact requirements Real Soon Now.

Disclaimer:

This is my opinion, and only my opinion.  It is based
neither on actual experience or fact.  It is purely conjecture, i.e.
I made it all up. I neither like, nor dislike Oracle or it's products.
This same opinion can be made about almost all "software services"
companies (e.g. Rational, PeopleSoft, SAP, etc.), I'm only using
Oracle as an example, since Rich insisted on the Rah Rah e-mail
mentioning Oracle :)  Objects are larger than they appear (in the
database;)  Contains no nuts or nut products.  No animals were tested
or used in creating this e-mail. The name of the guilty were left
alone.  There are no innocents here to protect.   blah blah blah.

--

Seeya,
Paul