looking to buy 2 linux workstations

Hewitt Tech hewitt_tech at attbi.com
Fri Apr 11 11:33:44 EDT 2003

> >I'm looking to buy 2 modest linux desktop PCs plus a 19" monitor.

>I recommend you shop around for the hardware you want, and install

>Linux yourself. Because of Microsoft's contracts with the PC vendors,

>you will find it difficult to get a system with Linux preinstalled at

>home PC prices other than WalMart.

Along the lines that Jerry suggests, if you go to the Marlborough show this
weekend, there are several vendors there who have been around for at least 5
years and who will build anything you ask for. Stay away from "gamer"
systems (hot video cards, bleeding edge hardware) and you should be able to
install Linux with no difficulty at all. The vendors generally don't provide
much software support and they mainly sell Microsoft OSs on those boxes but
you won't have to pay for a Microsoft OS if you don't ask for it. Frankly I
haven't run into many problems with the name brand motherboard manufacturers
such as Tyan, Asus, Elite, Abit, Aopen, Gigabyte etc.. I'm a bit partial to
the newer Gigabyte KT400 rated boards. They have a lot of extra stuff you
might not care for (depending on the model) but they get good hardware
reviews. I tend to buy ATI or nVidia video cards and I would expect them to
just work with most newer Linux distros. I do like the Antec cases and their
power supplies. Well designed, reasonably inexpensive and stable. You'd be
hard pressed to find a CD-ROM, DVD or hard drive that would cause problems.
Again, when you shop at the shows, the vendors will build your machine on
the spot. If you buy the components yourself, you need to pay attention
(this get's less true all the time) to jumper settings and configuration
information supplied by the manufacturers. One advantage to buying the
components yourself is that you get the full warranties for any components
you put in. For example, many hard drives still have a 3 year warranty. If
you buy the system as part of a package, that warranty might only be a year.
The other thing you might consider, bring the parts to a GNHLUG meeting and
turn the assembly into a group project. ;^)

-Alex