RH9 kernel OOM messages

Paul Moore pcmoore at engin.umich.edu
Tue Apr 22 17:02:48 EDT 2003

Hello,

Once again I turn to you guys for some help.  I have a machine which runs a
cron job that does a virus scan on some directories each night.  When the
machine was running RH 7.1 (Linus kernel sources) this was fine, but know that
I am running RH 9 (RedHat kernel sources) I keep getting out of memory
messages from the kernel and my process is killed.  Remember, this did not
happen before.

A few questions:

 o Is there some way to get memory usage stats when the process is killed,
   other than running it by hand and watching it run while cat'ing
   /proc/meminfo?

 o Is there some tuneable value I need to tweak in the kernel?

 o Is there something in the RedHat kernel sources that would cause this
   to happen vs the Linux 'vanilla' sources?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

--
      . . . paul moore . . . www.alumni.engin.umich.edu/~pcmoore . . .