Free SSL certs

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Thu Apr 24 09:18:45 EDT 2003

>     FYI, you can get a certificate from GeoTrust for $39 through
> rackshack.net.  The order form doesn't appear to inforce that you are
> a rackshack.net customer (though I am).  The same certificate lists on
> geotrust.com for $149, and is also recommended at
> http://www.freessl.com/comparison.html.

It's recommended because they're owned by the same company. FreeSSL is more
for testing and people starting out while GeoTrust is more for established
businesses.

> InstantSSL (www.instantssl.com)
> also appears to be an interesting choice.

Yes, but why get that? If you see on the FreeSSL site:

"ChainedSSL = InstantSSL

ChainedSSL and InstantSSL are both chained to the same Baltimore root. Why
pay $$$ when you can get the same SSL security for free?"