RPM's

Jeff Macdonald jeff.macdonald at virtualbuilder.com
Thu Apr 24 15:06:31 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 14:50, Robert Casey wrote:
> I'm trying to upgrade my Red Hat Linux 7.2 kernel using the RPM
> method and I'm running into dependency issues. One of the
> dependencies, modutils, requires another dependency called
> libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3) but I can't find such a thing.

Try this:

$ locate libc.so

this should return a list of files. Pick one (the one in /lib is a good
guess) and find the rpm package that contains it:

$ rpm -qif /lib/libc.so.<whatever>

should return a package name. Then grab the latest off of
updates.redhat.com in the 7.2 directory.

then to update:

$ rpm -Fvh <list of RPMS>

by providing a list, RPM should/will figure out that the to be installed
RPMS satisfy any dependencies.

I'm assuming by upgrading you actually mean 'updating'. I don't know if
it is wise to try a 7.2 -> 8/9 upgrade using just RPM.

--
Jeff Macdonald <jeff.macdonald at virtualbuilder.com>
Into birding? Check out http://www.migratus.com