Why advocating Linux can be an up hill battle...

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Thu Apr 24 15:26:38 EDT 2003

> The Linux router was pulled and these
> "professionals" decided that they should just plug the DSL modem directly
> into a 16 port hub!

Just wondering.. Why is this so bad? If a person is up on their patches they
should be mostly fine. Before all this broadband most people were dirrectly
connected to their internet. Sure it was on a dialup but they had an IP and
it's not like an exploit is bandwidth intensive. Now everybody seems to
totally freak out when they're not behind some kind of "broadband router" or
"personal firewall". Even now, most people with DSL or cable modems, unless
they have more then one computer, are connected right to the device.

BTW, this is how my DSL modem is hooked up to my many computers.