finding remote MAC address

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Tue Apr 29 13:21:09 EDT 2003

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, at 11:53am, pll at lanminds.com wrote:
>> If the hosts are separated by one or more IP routers, things become more
>> difficult.  The basic idea is the same, but you will need to get much
>> more sophisticated.
>
> Not really, the complexity is the same, the tools are different.

  You're arguing semantics.  For someone who knows next-to-nothing about
routers, SNMP, and other network management tools, there is a big difference
between "ping foo ; arp -n" and what you're talking about.  (Note that that
is a general statement; I'm not implying that any particular person has any
particular knowledge level.)

>> Briefly describe the network topology and lower-level protocols in use if
>> this is the case; there may be shortcuts you can take.
>
> Yeah, like haveing multiple routes defined with non-existant gateways!

  Or even a *single* route via a non-existent gateway!  :-)

> (Hey, I figure I ought get it in there before someone else does ;)

  Heh.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>