a good search engine

Greg Rundlett greg.rundlett at buzgate.org
Tue Apr 29 17:30:53 EDT 2003

fwiw, i just installed a search engine on our website, and figured i
would share the info.

I ran into problems with the grandaddy of free search HtDig, so I ended
up using the Mnogosearch engine which is at least in part funded by
MySQL AB (and used on their site).

HtDig wouldn't compile on RH 8.0, but worked just fine for me on RH
7.3.  Since I needed it to work on RH 8.0, I basically had to give up on
HtDig.

I also ran into disk space limits at my hosting provider (both search
tools need lots of disk space), so I had to setup the search engine
locally.  In fact, installing the software may not be supported at most
hosting providers.

To index 5,000 HTML pages, HtDig created a database that was around
126MB in size.  Mnogosearch offers your choice of DB storage (I chose
the MySQL database), and the database was around the same size.  Both
are very customizable in terms of messages and look and feel.  Overall
though, it seems that Mnogosearch was a better tool, and less
complicated than I originally thought it would be.  They have great
documentation online, plus within the download.

That's about it.  Your mileage may vary.

--
Greg Rundlett
Sr. Internet Systems Architect
greg.rundlett at buzgate.org