Opinions on GSInet DSL and/or Actiontec DSL modem/router products

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Fri Aug 1 07:05:41 EDT 2003

I've used GSInet DSL since it became available (about 3 years, IIRC).
I've had various speeds from 128k to 1.5Mbps.

Pros:
* Service has been reliable. I don't recollect any interruptions at all.
* Static IP.
* No restrictions on any traffic.
* Never had any problems with DSL modem. (Note: I don't have a
router/modem, just modem.)
* The DSL modem I have appears transparent to me. I plug in any
    piece of equipment and set IP and I'm done. (I used to have a cable
    modem and had to jump through hoops to change network cards.)
* No client software or special configuration.

Cons:
* No reverse DNS for IP numbers. I've asked. They've never understood
the question.
* No DHCP. You have to manually set IP, gateway, DNS.
* DNS occaisionally non-responsive.
    It stops responding for a few minutes or is just slow. Happens once
or twice a month.
* When I had a 1.5Mbps, I noticed little appreciable difference from
256Kbps. That could
    partly have been external to them, of course. They weren't able to
tell me what their upstream
    connection was when I asked.
* They aren't particularly technical. Other than reverse DNS, I've never
really asked them much though.

I don't use their POP or SMTP servers, so I can't comment on that.
Their news server expires pretty quickly and occaisionally stops
responding for 10-15 minutes.

I would recommend GSInet.

<plug>
    I will recommend MV Communications (www.mv.net or 629-0000) first,
if it is available.
    I've worked with them for years and will always push them.
    They have always been a joy to work with. Technically knowledgable,
very accomodating.
</plug>

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-624-7272