The lack of need for Caps-Lock (was laptop keyboard replacement)

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Fri Aug 1 09:31:30 EDT 2003

  This has to be the all-time most inane discussion to ever occur on this
list.  Which is saying something.  :-)

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, at 4:16pm, f at ke1g.mv.com wrote:
> My preferences actually come from spending a lot of time at a model 35
> teletype.

  I think that has more to do with it then anything else.

  For example, the first computer that *I* spent a lot of time on was a
Tandy 1000 SL.  Although it was an 8088, its keyboard used an AT-style
101-key layout.  My fingers are now permanently wired to expect the CTRL and
ALT keys to the left and right of the spacebar.

  I also never learned to touch-type "properly".  I use a completely unique
scheme I call "accelerated hunt-and-peck".  I basically type letters with my
two index fingers, and use my thumbs and other fingers for other keys.  I
suspect if I actually used the "real" touch-type method, with all eight
fingers centered on the home row, I would care more about having the CTRL
key easily reached by my left pinky.

  I also don't use CAPS LOCK much, but as I have very little cause to ever
type in all capitals, that does not mean anything.

  We now return to your regularly scheduled pointless drivel.

  Oh, wait.  This *was* your regularly scheduled pointless drivel.  :-)

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>